Monday, September 16, 2013

Where They Charge for Water

When I was in the States I used to drink a lot. No silly, not booze (okay yeah, that too), just in general. When I ate dinner I would go through three or four glasses of water.  After one week in London, I've realized that that shit has got to stop.  Free refills are a thing of the past. Oh, and they charge for water. Tap water included, at most places.  I'm used to going out to eat like a poor college student, but there is a learning curve on what qualifies as "poor college student eating" in different counties.

After the Master's student meet-and-greet today (more free wine, woohooo!) I went with the only other person I've found from the entire Theology department to dinner.  Carefully examining the Thai menu, I realized that the only water offered, the tap water, was priced at £2.  This, along with the high price of alcohol, is why the vast majority of college students frequent BYOB restaurants that advertise "no corkage fee".  So my classmate, Em, and I bucked the trend and got mango juice instead for only 50p more.

So when in London, do as the locals do. Save some quid and skip the water: bring a bottle of booze instead.

PS- I swear I'm going to eat my weight in crunchie bars while I'm here.


1 comment:

  1. Dude don't let them try to charge you for tap water, that's illegal.

    ReplyDelete