Sunday, September 8, 2013

Layovers

As I type this, I am two and a half hours into my 8 hour layover at Boston Logan airport.  Yesterday my mother and I drove up to Raleigh so I would already be in town for my early morning flight. When you're a Murphy, you learn to prepare for Murphy's Law in advance.  Knowing my luck, had I decided to drive up the morning of my flight, my car would have broken down halfway there.

We piddled around the city that afternoon, mostly wandering around the mall.  Mom got me Urban Decay's new lipstick in Shame (a dark berry) and a roller-ball of one of my favorite perfumes (Narciso Rodriguez for Her) as a going away gift.  I crashed early because I wanted to get up early and wash and blow-dry my hair before the flight to help me wake up.

So at 4:15 this morning I dragged out of bed and took my last shower in America.  After a lazy continental breakfast (They had peanut butter! and whipped yogurt! Yay!), Mom and I took the Holiday Inn shuttle to the airport and said our goodbyes.


The ladies at the JetBlue check in were really nice. After discussing my concern about having to recheck my luggage during my layover at Boston airport, per my booking through a discount flight website, they checked their records and figured out how to reroute it to my connecting flight to London.  Rechecking my luggage was the part of the trip I had been most terrified about, because my arriving and departing terminals were quite a distance apart and well... lets just say I have a lot of stuff.

The dark one in the back was overweight by about 15lbs. Extra fees but more books I don't have to ship!

I am still not going to feel comfortable about my luggage until it is in my hands at London Heathrow.  Knowing Murphy's law again, my suitcases are probably still spinning around the luggage carousel back in Terminal C.


The walk from Terminal C to E could definitely be called a trek.   I followed the signs hanging from the ceiling past baggage claim to were it veered off away from the other terminals.  Still following the signs for Terminal E, the area became more and more vacant until I felt like I was walking through an office building on Sunday rather than an international airport.  I actually did pass a lot of doors that were labeled as Employee Only offices, but the signs claimed I was going in the right direction.  Finally I went outside, back into another building, up an elevator, and finally, ten minutes later, I was in Terminal E.  And I had to go through TSA AGAIN.  The woman who checks IDs/tickets stared at my boarding pass as if I had handed her a monkey instead.  I had to explain to her that I was the only one from my previous flight connecting here, and yes, I was in the right Terminal even though my boarding pass had none listed.  She finally let me pass onto the actual checkpoint.  As I threw all of my belongings onto the scanner and pulled off my shoes for round two of the checkpoint, the TSA agent looked at me and said "You look like you do this a lot! Like a pro!". Gee, thanks, I guess.

So now I am curled up in a far corner of Terminal E trying to kill some time.  I raided the Dunkin' Donuts for energy ala a Boston Creme doughnut (when in Boston...) and a frozen Mocha.  I have never actually had Dunkin' Donut's drinks before, but they're actually pretty damn good. I may raid the Duty Free shop for chocolate, maybe a Toblerone, before the flight this afternoon.  I really should be reading, but who are we kidding, people watching and eavesdropping on the Japanese travelers (sorry, not sorry) beats that one by a long shot.

Loves,
Bored in Boston

PS: I REALLY really want to slide down the metal banister from level two to level one, but I don't think the airport staff would find it as amusing as I would.

PPS: I did not proofread this. So sue me.

1 comment:

  1. Ali!!!!! How's London? Show us your new home. Hope your flight was Murphy's Law uneventful.

    ReplyDelete