Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Little Things

When I decided to move to another country for graduate school, I figured I would stick with one that spoke English, considering it is the only language I am fluent in.  I have taken Latin, French, German, and Japanese courses during my educational process, but all those fall somewhere behind Lumalier, Klingon, Quenya, and other fictional languages in comprehension.  I knew there would be some terms and phrases that would be unfamiliar to me on this side of the pond, but every now and then something new pops up that I was not expecting to be different.

Then I went to buy cleaning products.

Gearing up for Me vs. Tesco, round 1

I have to go easy with the shopping, considering that I'm not very big and I have to carry all my purchases on the bus back to my dorm.  Nothing like swinging a shopping bag and clockin' an old lady in the head.  Stay classy, Americans.

I, in my brilliance, decided to start my adventure during shopping rush hour.  Note to those who have never shopped in another country: you have no idea how much you stand and stare at shit you're unfamiliar with until you get in other people's way while doing so.  I, and probably most people, are so accustomed to seeing certain brands and branding that the differences in it spiral you pretty firmly into the 'culture shock' category.  In most places, the off-brand or store-brand items are styled similarly to the brand name, so you just have to glance for a common marketing theme.  Ain't no Windex here, guys.

This is not a diss at the UK and their cleaning products, this is making fun of me for being pretty incompetent and confused.


This is laundry detergent.  I know because I posted a picture of it on Instagram and received confirmation from my friend in Wales that it is the kind she uses. Before I picked this up I spent ten minutes staring at the "fabric conditioner" before I Googled it on my phone and realized that it was fabric softener.  Also, couldn't find dryer sheets.


You probably can't read that bottle due to the awesome mirror effect, but it reads "Washing up liquid". This, my friends, is dish soap.  Thankfully the cheap Tesco brand has pictures of glasses and plates on it to help me figure this out.  Other things I noticed about UK cleaning products: Awesome scents. I haven't actually opened any to see if they smell like what they advertise, but lime and lemongrass, blueberry, pomegranate and honey, cucumber and aloe.  Seriously!? Why don't we get these cool scents in cleaning products in the States?


As I was walking down the isle of Booze (Liquor in the grocery store? Be still my heart!), I came across this little bit of hilarity.  Is that a little kiddy milk carton? Nope! Mini-boxed wine.


I will be back to the Tesco this weekend to actually get food products, but I rewarded myself for my diligence (and stress) with a mint Aero bar. This is officially my favourite UK candy bar.

1 comment:

  1. Got to admit, my last 2 years at college, I don't remember buying any cleaning stuff.

    ReplyDelete