Friday, September 13, 2013

Orientation in the City

I haven't gone grocery shopping. I haven't bought bedding. I haven't put up my clothes. I haven't opened a bank account. I haven't gotten a SIM card for my cell. I haven't been on the tube or buses.  I haven't paid for any food off campus.

I have waited in a lot of really fucking long lines. Excuse me, queues. I have walked until I got blisters. I have gotten soaking wet because I didn't pack an umbrella (and I'm okay with that). I have gotten a lot of free swag from orientation. I have eaten free food and drank a bottle of free wine.  I have been asked for directions four times.  I have ordered whiskey, straight up, and gotten noticed for it.

King's held a reception for new international students with lots of food and wine.







When you're outside of the Strand and Westminster proper it is easy to forget that London is a big city.  Americans are used to associating big cities with new and tall. There are a lot of those buildings in London, but in some of the boroughs just outside of the central areas all the buildings only go to about four or five stories and were built ages ago.  Whenever I forgot how big London is, all I have to do is cross Waterloo bridge on my way to or from campus.  At night, the city lights up in all colors.





No comments:

Post a Comment