Monday, November 11, 2013

Reading Week

In the UK, students have a week off in the middle of both semesters called Reading Week. The idea is that students will use this time to catch up on reading, assignments, and such.  I find this to be a marvelous idea.  In reality, however, it seems that most students use this time to travel and party.  My mom (or 'mum' to the Brits) came to visit with me during Reading Week!  She hasn't traveled outside the country since my sister and I were little, and it has been about 22 or so odd years since she visited England.

Mom's visit killed two birds with one stone, if you'll excuse my cliche. She got to travel abroad with her free time now that she has sold her business, and she also got to kick my ass into organizational gear (I mean... see me. Yeah, see her daughter).


We did somewhat touristy things while she was here, but thankful nothing horrid.  I have a staunch aversion to anything touristy, which I think comes from growing up in a smaller tourist town.  Come summer time, people would flood into my hometown to visit the beach and generally make asses of themselves.  I'm not saying that all tourists are assholes, but that some are spectacular assholes. They'd come to my coffee shop and piddle around, comparing everything to how it is "at home" and leisurely enjoying their vacation.  London is no different, and this would be no problem is everyone was on vacation.  But everyone is not on vacation. So hurry your ass up, place your order, and get out of the way, because I have to get to work.  Stop gawking in the center of the sidewalk at Big Ben, if you want the perfect photograph go buy a postcard because you're blocking my way to class.


That rant aside, we did have fun.  The British Museum is always a classic, and the tour of St. Paul's Cathedral is lovely.



Mom also went with me down the Asda (Wal-mart) to get assorted things, like a frying pan and groceries.  I actually do love cooking, but having to buy utensils and such meant travelling out of my way and figuring out how to carry it all back on the bus without killing myself.  I also introduced my mother to the beauty that is the UK Kit Kat Bar.  I like American Kit Kat bars, but I looooove the British ones. They actually taste like good chocolate, rather than wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment